One of America's 100 Best Communities for Young People
Caldwell achieved national recognition as one of America’s Promise Alliance’s 100 Best Communities for Young People presented by ING for its initiatives to help young people. The competition recognizes communities across the country that focus on reducing high school dropout rates and providing service and support to their youth.
Caldwell, a 100 Best winner for a second time, boasts a high graduation rate and a low crime rate thanks to its numerous initiatives to keep youth safe and in school. The Caldwell Youth Coalition, a partnership between the City of Caldwell and the Caldwell School District, addresses the most pressing issues facing youth such as safety, after-school supervision, health, education, workforce readiness and community involvement.
Caldwell also ensures its youth have a voice in community decisions as well as opportunities to volunteer with the Mayor’s Youth Advisory Council. In addition to these after-school programs, in 2010, Caldwell began the Caldwell Freshman Academy. This freshman-only school was started to improve graduation rates by helping some freshman make a more successful transition to high school through small class sizes and team-building exercises.
Being a 100 Best community not only demonstrates commitment to local young people; the award fosters local pride, bolsters economic development and shines the spotlight on the people and programs that are building better communities. The competition also facilitates the sharing of best practices among communities nationwide regarding education, access to health care, reading score improvement, youth service and pre-school enrollment, among many other areas.
The Youth Master Plan was created to address these issues in our community.
Click HERE to see the Agenda for the upcoming meeting on Tuesday Feb 28th 2017 at 10am
YMP - Current Focus
The Mayor's Youth Master Plan Committee continues to focus on safety in and out of school. We hope this will provide: "Security and peace of mind for both youth and parents that mental, emotional and physical violence will not be tolerated and resources will be available to help those in need."
With this continuing focus we will be placing an emphasis on bullying awareness and prevention in partnership with the city schools. Our yearly Youth Forum works with Caldwell area high school students to encourage them to step out of the bystander role and help make positive changes happen within their school culture. More information on the Caldwell Youth Forum HERE.
Current Programs Associated with Safety Campaign
- Hope's Door Classes - Children's Support Group & Teen Classes
- SART - Sexual Assault Response Team
- Juvenile Fire Setter Intervention Program
- C.A.T.C.H. Charitable Assistance to Community's Homeless
- AAFV (Advocates Against Family Violence) Housing and support services
In addition we'd like to emphasize police sponsored activities for the youth of our community through the P.A.L. program. This program currently offers the following activities for children and teens to participate in.
- D.A.R.E./P.A.L. Softball
- P.A.L Boxing
- For more information contact Officer Hodnett at 455-3115
- P.A.L. Football (Fall)
- $45 registration fee
- For more information contact Officer Ibarra 455-3115
- Girl's Night Out
- May - 40 students will be selected from local middle schools to participate - free of charge
- Boy's Night Out
- December - 40 students will be selected from local middle schools to participate - free of charge
- O'connor Field House Halloween Party
- Kids - Free
- Adults - $1.00
Youth Master Plan - Publications
- 2012 - Youth Master Plan - 2012 Caldwell Youth Master plan. Outlines the plan the City of Caldwell plans to take in order to make the City a better place for children to grow.
- Goal Accomplishment Summary - A cumulative summary (through December 31, 2016) of Youth Master Plan goals accomplished and community partnerships that helped achieve these goals.
- YMP Brochure - 8.5x11 tri-fold brochure for print. To be made available throughout Caldwell for the purpose of providing information about summer activities available to the youth of the city.
- YMP Poster - 11x17 print flyer to be posted throughout Caldwell for the purpose of providing information about summer activities available to the youth of the city.