Caldwell's Let's Move program began in February 2015 as a subcomittee of the Youth Master Plan Committee. Our goal is to work with community partners to address childhood obesity and work to provide healthy eating and active living opportunities for the Caldwell community . . . especially our children.
Let's Move has partnered with many local agencies to incorporate goal guidelines into what we are already doing.
- Caldwell City Council
- Caldwell Parks and Recreation
- Caldwell Planning & Zoning (Bikes and Pathways)
- Oasis Food Bank and Summer Feeding Program
- Caldwell School District
- Vallivue and Caldwell High Schools
- Treasure Valley YMCA
- West Valley Medical Center
- WICAP Head Start
- Southwest District Health Dept
- Caldwell Rotary
- Canyon Bike Project
- Safe Routes 2 School
- The College of Idaho athletes
Let's Move uses 5 specific goals with Bronze, Silver, and Gold levels to encourage transitioning to healthier habits:
- Goal I: Start Early, Start Smart
- Goal II: My Plate, Your Place
- Goal III: Smart Servings for Students
- Goal IV: Model Food Service
- Goal V: Active Kids at Play
By January 2017, the City of Caldwell had earned gold medals in every one. We are not finished yet, though; our purpose is to continue to encourage healthy food choices, and activities that get families and individuals moving! For example:
Family Fun Day! A yearly event held on the Idaho Fish and Game's Free Fishing Day at Whittenberger Park and Rotary Ponds. Many local community partners help us out with this event, and there are activities for all ages and ability levels:
- Kids Free Fishing Derby -- all can fish, and prizes are awarded for kids 12 years of age and under.
- Junior Fun Run -- All may run/walk, and prizes are awarded for youth ages 17 and under.
- Chalk Art contest -- Family and individual entries; family prizes awarded.
- Bike Rodeo -- bring your bike, or if you don't have one, use one of ours (limited supply).
- Archery at the archery range next to Rotary Ponds
- YMCA Obstacle Course
- Face painting
- And much more!
Click on the link for Pictures from the 2017 and 2018 Family Fun Day