Mayor Garret L. Nancolas
Garret L. Nancolas is a native Idahoan who was born in Twin Falls and has lived in Caldwell most of the last 58 years.
Mayor Nancolas has extensive experience in private business ownership, management and sales. His commitment to city government began when he served on the Caldwell Planning and Zoning Commission from 1987 through 1989. He was elected to the Caldwell City Council in 1989, where he served as Council President and on the Finance Committee, Traffic Commission, Senior Citizen Board, Airport Commission and the Planning and Zoning liaison.
In July 1997 Garret Nancolas ran for Mayor of Caldwell on a platform of teamwork, cooperation, community pride and vision to move this great City forward. He has since been reelected for five successive term, and at at the end of his current term, will have served as Caldwell's Mayor for 24 years. As Mayor, he has been involved in dozens of committees and organizations. He served as the first Vice President and President for the Association of Idaho Cities and chaired their Idaho Local Government Energy Committee. He serves on AIC's Legislative Committee, Policy and Resolutions Committee, Environmental Committee and is a founding member and chairman of the Youth & Families Task Force. He graduated from the Kennedy School of Government, the Mayor's Institute of Urban Design and continues to work on the National League of Cities' Certificate of Achievement Leadership Program, achieving Bronze level and working toward Silver.
Nationally, Mayor Nancolas serves on the National League of Cities' Small Cities Council, Small Cities Steering Committee and their Youth and Education Forum, currently serving as YEF's chairman. He has been invited by various communities and organizations to speak on issues of family and youth and has helped form youth councils nationwide.
Within Idaho, he served two years as President, and one year as Secretary of Sage Community Resources. He was the first Chairman of the Treasure Valley Regional Transportation Authority and is a Board member and Ways and Means Committee member for Valley Regional Transit. Furthermore, he serves as the Board Vice-Chairman and Past Chairman for COMPASS as well as on their Executive, Finance, Corridor Preservation and Communities in Motion committees. He has served as the Chairman for COMPASS twice. The mayor has also served on the Idaho Emergency Communications Commission, Caldwell's East Urban Renewal Agency, is a member and founding chair of the Treasure Valley Partnership Board, ICRMP board Member, Caldwell Economic Development Council member, Boise Metro Economic Development Council member, CCOA board member and is a YMCA Advisory Board member.
The Mayor has received several awards for his leadership abilities. These awards include: honored as the 2016 'Children's Champion' by the Idaho Voices for Children; received the Leadership Excellence Award and the Energy Excellence Award from Rebuild America; awarded the Dave Johnson Rotary Award from the Caldwell Rotary Club for excellence in business and community development; and received the City Achievement Award from the Association of Idaho Cities.
The Mayor's greatest passion is for the youth of Caldwell and he truly believes they are our most valuable asset. This has been manifested by instituting the Mayor's Youth Advisory Council - a very successful organization of youth from Caldwell's high schools who help determine and plan for the future. The Mayor's Youth Advisory Council has received a technical assistance grant and recognition from the National League of Cities. The mayor is also very involved in the schools, the local YMCA and surrounding colleges, including guest lecturing at the College of Idaho.
He is blessed to have the support and energy from a loving, enthusiastic family; Pamela, his wife of 37 years, and their two children Caleb and Ashley, as well as his two granddaughters Lily and Melody. His family shares a love and respect for this great city and its people, who make it such a wonderful place to live, work and play. His personal interests include hunting, fishing, sports and music and he is active in his church.
Services to Caldwell Youth & Schools
- Mayor’s Youth Advisory Council
- Caldwell Youth Games
- Teaches a day of government at Caldwell & Vallivue High School
- Career Days
- Job Fairs
- Reads to elementary schools
- Mayor’s Community Service Scholarship
- Mayor’s Community Service Scholarship Golf Tournament
- Mayor’s Old Guy’s Basketball Games
- Participation and celebration of all school graduations
- Safe & Sane Graduation Parties
Services to The College of Idaho
- Speaks yearly to the Admission Board and parents
- Student Senate
- Attends college functions as needed
- Teaches Leadership and Local Government classes
Boards, Committees, & Commissions
Association of Idaho Cities
- Board Member and Past President
- Chairman, Idaho Local Government Energy Committee
- Legislative Committee
- Drug Task Force Committee
- Environmental Committee
- Chairman Youth/Families Task Force Valley Regional Transit
- Board Member
- Chairman Ways and Means Committee Sage Community Resources Past Service
- 2-term Chairman Caldwell Chamber of Commerce
- Ex-officio Member
- Government Affairs Committee COMPASS
- Board Vice-Chairman/Past Chairman
- Executive Committee
- Finance Committee
- Corridor Preservation Committee
- Communities in Motion Committee National League of Cities
- Vice-Chairman Youth, Education, and Families Council
- Small Cities Council
- Small Cities Steering Committee Other Boards, Committees, and Commissions
- Chairman Idaho Emergency Communications Commission
- PTE Advisory Board
- Traffic Commission
- BSU Advisory Committee - Past Service
- Caldwell/Canyon Economic Development Council
- Vice-Chair Caldwell East Urban Renewal Agency
- Boise Metro Economic Development Council
- Treasure Valley Partnership Board Member - Founding Chair
- ICRMP Board Member
- CCOA Board Member
- YMCA Advisory Council
The information provided here is offered as a convenience only. No agency, entity or individual guarantees or can be held liable for the accuracy of the information provided. If you know of a change or update that is required or of an error in the information provided here, please notify the Webmaster and the change will be made as soon as possible. Thank You.